BBQ sauce can be a bit on the thin side, so it’s important to thicken it up if you want it to have a nice, thick consistency. Here are four different ways to do just that:
- Use a whisk. Whisking the sauce will help distribute any oil or fat that may be present and help it become thicker.
- Add flour. Flour is a common way to thicken sauces because it helps absorb moisture and creates a smooth texture.
- Use cornstarch or arrowroot starch.
Sauce is closely related to ancient times, as something that was added to foods and gives it flavor and moisture. The phrase barbecue sauce first appeared on the Unites States in the late 19th century. Since then, it’s evolved to the classic tomato-based version nowadays.
What Does Thickening Accomplish?
Thickening agents are used in food to change the texture or consistency. They can make a food thicker, creamier, and more solid. Thickening agents can also help to stabilize a dish and prevent it from separating. There are many different types of thickening agents, and each one has a different effect on the food. Some thickeners, such as starches, work by absorbing moisture. Others, such as gums and proteins, work by forming a gel.
How to Thicken BBQ Sauce with a Starch
- Put a tablespoon or so of cooled stock or broth into a small bowl.
- Sprinkle in the starch and stir to form a smooth paste.
- Stir paste into stock or broth
- Allow to simmer, occasionally stirring.
Starch Your Sauce without Making It Starchy
- Grains, which are high in amylose, one of the two molecules found in starch. This molecule makes up 20% of the starch and
- Dissolves well in water, especially hot water
- Does not form a gel or paste
- Produces a sauce with a dense and dull appearance
- Roots and Tubers, which are high in the other starch molecule, amylopectin which makes up 80% of the starch. It
- Doesn’t dissolve as well in hot water as amylose
- Will form a gel or paste
- Produces a sauce with a clear and shiny appearance
Flour thickening solution
- 2 tbsp flour
- ¼ cup of water
Combine the two ingredients well in a small bowl, making sure that it’s consistent and doesn’t contain any lumps. Once well combined set to one side.
Perhaps this will turn out surprising, but many coconut oils appear to be known to rise by the year. From cooking oil option to coffee creamer, to now being a BBQ sauce thickener.